Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mattilyn's Two Year Check-up

We had Mattie's two year check-up on Monday. She weighed in at a whopping 22 pounds and measured 33.5 inches tall! The doctor was happy with her growth although she wishes she would put on some more weight. She said she will be on whole milk until she is 30 and to feed her all the ice cream she wants! We were sure to inform her that Mattie has no problem putting away the food and I am thankful she has her dad's metabolism! We informed the doctor of Mattie's latest stunt of climbing INTO her crib. She said if she can climb in then she can climb out so it is time to switch over to a toddler bed. I am not looking forward to that but I think we might give it a go this weekend if I don't chicken out! The issue about Mattie's tonsils came up again and how they need to come out. Mattie has very enlarged tonsils which cause her to snore. We have a choking issue at least once a day which we are pretty sure is caused by this and the doctor thinks that taking them out will solve a lot of her congestion issues. The issue we are running into is her weight. Anestesiologists like a child to be at least 25 pounds for surgeries like this since there is a higher risk when they are smaller. My friend Jennie asked if I was torn between fattening her up and getting the tonsils out or keeping her skinny to avoid the surgery. I have to say I am leaning towards keeping her skinny! I know they need to come out and they say the younger the better but I don't want my baby to have surgery even if it is minor. I meet up with friends for lunch at work right where parents say good bye when their kids are having surgery and I have to admit I get teary eyed at times watching the parents say good bye and I have told my friends I can't imagine doing that. I am lucky to have a few friends that have been through that before and can give their words of wisdom. Good thing is she still has to gain 3 pounds before this can happen so we still have probably a year! The doctor wants us to come back in 3 months for a weight check to see if we are any closer but I really don't see her gaining 3 pounds in 3 months. That is unless she was serious about the ice cream! Overall it was a great appointment and I can't believe my baby is 2!!!

Here is a family picture from her birthday. It's awful because we took it ourselves!


2 comments:

Melissa said...

Good luck to you and the toddler bed transition. I have no desire to do that anytime soon. I am hoping to put it off until they are closer to three if at all possible. :-) Yup, I am that scared.
As far as her gaining weight, I have heard from other moms say they add butter, sour cream, and other fillers like that to anything possible.

Jennie said...

Have you thought any more about the carnation packets? Maybe doing a smoothie like we do to get them in her.

I will be there when she has surgery if you need me! You were such a huge support when Sammie was at CMH for her surgery!!!

And we will make it through this whole toddler bed transition together - we may end up crazy together but we will get through it together! :)